USPTO Patent Bar Exam
Know when to schedule and take the Patent Bar
Exam Dates & Scheduling Tips
The Patent Bar is presently administered in two formats and in two venues:
- Computerized Exam
- Available year round at Thompson Prometric testing centers.
- The exam must be scheduled in advance.
- Most of Prometric’s testing centers are open during business hours, and a few of the larger centers have weekend and night hours.
- 95% take the computerized exam.
- Paper-Based Exam
- A written Patent Bar Exam is offered once a fiscal year at a date and location that is specified and announced before examination applications under that venue are accepted.
Remember, once the USPTO accepts your application, you have a 90-day window to take your exam.
Make sure you factor this into both your studying time as well as being able to adequately schedule your exam at Prometric.
Wysebridge recommends 100-150hrs of studying time before taking the exam. Often, students will begin to study for 2-4 weeks, and then apply to take the exam.